Skip to main content

The Turing Test [DISCUSSION]

This post is a personal opinion to another post published by @TheAtlantic via @Mashable here. I loved it.
Alan Turing is an iconic figure as there is a #ceablizillion of them in the world. I guess his position on the icons list is reflective of the currently in development biopic bearing his famous test name "The Imitation Game", aka the Turing Test. Rumor has it that DiCaprio will be starring in it; this being yet another role as a "homosexual" figure after Eastwood's biopic about Hoover.


Anyway, now on to my personal opinion. Or the constant fight I have to give my keyboard-related activities online a face that resembles the real me as close as possible. Maybe I could try by asking this question: "Have you ever asked yourself how Kim Dotcom looked like before the MegaUpload issue rose?" I played Call of Duty 3 online and it had never occurred to me that the number one in this game had a human face! When I read the Mashable post today, I remembered how it felt like a shock to actually see Kim and to relate him to so many other stuff I know on the Internet, i.e. his other businesses. It was funny to read that he enjoys showing off his riches and lives in Hong-Kong!
Now I want to ask myself, what image do I portray online? Or in the way I text, chat, etc... is it me or someone (or something) can be able to impersonate me and trick my audience? This fundamentally is what the Turing Test is about, right? Never did AI but now I can thanks to #EaaF.

A friend of mine told me that I'm too formal when texting, that I don't use shortening techniques that save time and money, while giving you stature online. This felt like I needed some initiation exercise before belonging to certain circles online. If I joined in uninvited, everyone would tell I'm new (IRC chat requires you to flag yourself as newbie before you piss off everyone with "beginners" questions). You kinda feel the hypothetical eyes on you and watch out for every word you type, constantly hitting the backspace key. Building an identity in this way is really tricky. So rather than try fitting in, I believe staying true to oneself applies here as well. Failure to do so would, on a larger users scale, help the chatbots imitate you and impersonate you in the long run. A machine would write as you do (like agent Smith trying to clone himself into you) and probably gain access to your vitals online. Scary isn't it? But if you read more about the Turing test, you'll find that it's still unlikely that a machine would ever be mistaken for a real person. There will always be a barrage.

This also reminds me of this virus called "meme" that spreads through ideas.And how easy it is to learn a new typo trick, suite of emoticon shortcuts, hash tags... and the impact they have on your online identity. The more you know about these "cool" stuff the more knowledgeable you are. Would the result be another online you? Some kind of avatar in this Pendora called the Internet?

Let me know in the comments...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Code Debugging with Xdebug and Eclipse Juno [GUIDE]

This is the first of my series of  guides and walk-through on all code everything. I will try to take you through the complete steps to setup and configure Xdebug (v2.2.0) on a Win7 x86 PC using Eclipse Juno (4.2.0). For other versions and/or platforms, sorry but  YOYO  (you're on your own)! Just kidding, head over to  Stack Overflow , they have some great guides there. Trust me I have been there

Digging a Hole in the Wall

Watching Prof. Mitra presenting his research at TED Talks made me think: How in the world did the professor decide to name his research "Hole in the Wall" ? And so here I try to confuse myself with different kinds of explanation, and probably confuse my readers all together.